Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Early September

September 1, 2012

It's off to Leland.  We leave the dock at 7:50 so we are ready to go under the bridge at 8:00.  Things start out a little bumpy.  It was 1' - 2' rollers on the beam and the boat was going side to side pretty hard right out of the inlet.  We tried to change course, quarter the waves, etc. as best we could, but it was still a pretty rough ride.  We rode for about 2 hours and then turned south and we were taking the waves more on the bow and things got a little better.  The cats had already done their thing as you can imagine so the clean boat was getting another cleaning of sorts.  It did settle down some so the last hour and a half was not quite so painful.  Not complaining however, it could have been a LOT worse.

The marina in Leland is fairly nice and probably pretty new.  Good facilities and clean.  Wifi not so hot.  I guess you can't have everything.  Getting into the slip was a little tight but, we made it without incident.

Leland is a cute, little, Artsy town.  Nice shops, restaurants just ok.  Enjoyed the town and would come back.  We are just wanting to get down south.

September 2, 2012

It's a little longer ride to Frankfort, MI so we left about 7:30.  Things were rolling just a little at the start, but settled down real nice pretty quick.  It was pretty smooth for the last half of the trip.  Nice ride.  We stayed at Jacobson Marina with One September.  Tight docking on the inside.  Did not hit anything.  Karma went to Muni.

Frankfort is a nice town that is struggling to stay open.  Just a few shops on main street.  Not really a lot going on.  They have a beach at the lake which was pretty busy and things on main street were busy.  Just nothing special.

We had Fusion for dinner which was pretty good.  Did not see much else for restaurants in town.  Things pretty quiet around here.

September 3, 2012

Headed for Ludington.  Left about 7:00 as it's an even longer ride.  Took about 5 1/2 hours and was real smooth.  Great ride.  Karma stayed in Frankfort as they did not like the weather report.  They missed a great travel day.

Ludington seems to be hurting some.  Not a lot going on.  We walked down town and that took only about an hour.  Met Carol and Mike Sullivan and their 2 kids who are from Charlevoix and just starting the Loop.  They will be going back and forth as he still has to work some.  Nice couple and we hope to see them again soon.  I promise I will not spill wine again, Carol.

The ferry "Badger" uses Ludington as one of their ports.  It is a pretty large boat and has a rather unique way of docking.  It comes into the harbor and drops it's anchor and spins on it and backs into the dock.  Pretty smooth move.  It comes in about every 8 hours I think.  It is also coal fired and not diesel which sounds rather interesting.

September 4, 2012

Heading to Grand Haven.  A long ride of almost 70 miles.  Got a wake up call from the Badger's horn at  6:00.  Left about 7:00.  WOW what a great day on the water.  Lake Michigan was like a mill pond.  Real smooth.

This is a trip we really don't want to take as One September is going home for a while and we will miss them.  We are also expecting our props to be ready this week and we have to have some work  done.  Finally arranged for the boat to be pulled at North Shore Marina.  The props will be picked up by Holland Propeller and repaired.  The new ones will be ready to be picked up on Friday and we will put on the first set which is ready.  The weather is not real good for a few days so it doesn't hurt to be sitting here.

Dingy'd into town and met One September for dinner.  Their flight is in the morning out of Grand Rapids.  Their boat is getting worked on while they are gone at another marina.  It is hard getting things done around here right now as all the marinas are busy pulling boats and getting them ready for the winter.  Had dinner at the Dee Lite Bar & Grille.  Ok.  We'll miss Michael and Judy.  Hopefully we can get back together soon.

September 5, 2012

Got the bad news from the prop shop that it will take a few days to get them finished.  Oh well, I guess it could be worse.  These guys are more expensive than down home.  This stop is probably going to cost about $3g's.  OUCH!!!!

September 6, 2012

Took the dingy over to the town and walked to West Marine.  Bought a new VHF.  Everyone has complained that they can not hear us.  Hope this fixes it.  Walked to Pharmacy and got a new knee brace for Joy.  Then we went and got our hair cut.  Waked back to town and had lunch.

Ran into Sareanna who was just docking at the city marina.  Nice to see that they are doing well given some of Dick's problems.

September 7, 2012

Rented a car from Enterprise.  Had a lot of running around to do.  Drove to Holland and Joy went to the Social Security Office to get that straightened out.  Then drove over to Grand Rapids to pick up the props from Michigan Wheel.  Then took them back to Holland Propeller to be fine tuned.  Looked at the old set while I was there and the right prop is in pretty bad shape.

Then hit Best Buy to replace the broken laptop.  Also picked up an Andorid tablet.  Then went to Wal-Mart.  Reprovisioned.  Then back to the boat.  Dick called and we dingy'd over for dinner at Portabello's.  Ok.

September 8, 2012

Had lunch with Dick and Deanna at the local Mexican restaurant.  You would not know it was Mexican.  Looks more like a sports bar.  Great food.  Been there for years.  Watched some football.  Florida needs to get better or they are going to get beat in Tennessee.

September 9, 2012

Bill and Joyce Vandermae came and we showed them the routes we are and have taken.  We had lunch at Snug Harbor Restaurant on the river.  Good food.  GREAT time with them.  Hope we can see them when we get down south.

Called Dish TV and got set up for local programming in Chicago.  What a PIA that is.  Got to watch some of the Pittsburg/Denver game.  Props should be ready tomorrow.

September 10, 2012

The new props are finally ready to be installed on the boat.  Got here about 3:30 and we put them on.  Look very nice.  Hope they run as well.  It will probably be a few days before we find out as the weather will be pretty messed up.  I must be patient.

September 14, 2012

The weather has been really messed up since Monday and I'm ready to move on.  Had dinner last night with Michael and Judy at a very nice Italian Restaurant named 2 Tonys.  Their boat won't be ready to go until Saturday.  We were planning on waiting until then but, the weather report changed and we got a text from Idyll Time that left real early that the lake was really calm.  So we decided to move down to South Haven or maybe to Benton Harbor/St. Joe.

First things first, load the dingy.  The dingy lift won't work.  Found a loose power cable and repaired it.  Then unhooked the power and water.  Then the lines and we finally get out around 9:00.  By that time, things on the lake are a little more bumpy.  Well, rolling is a better term.  We were able to put up with it for a while, but decided to stop in South Haven.  Glad we did.

South Haven was a very cute town.  Very friendly.  Beginning to close down for the winter however.  The restaurant (boat) was cutting back on their menu and was out of most of their draft beers and wines.  Still no big deal.  Had a nice meal.  Nice marina, nice town, nice stop.

September 15, 2012

Very early departure for Hammond, Ind. on the other side of the lake.  Followed Idyll Time out of the harbor and it is still dark.  Water is smooth and a comfortable ride.  For about an hour.  Then the winds picked up and things got a little rougher.  We were heading straight across the lake, but turned south to follow the coast looking for smoother water.  We bounced around for about 4 to 5 hours and things finally smoothed out.  The winds died down and we had a nice ride for the last half of the trip.  It took us 9.5 hours as their Krogen can only go about 7.5 kts.  Pretty slow for us.  Long day.

Got to Hammond Marina and took on fuel.  Docked and went into the Horseshoe Casino for dinner at the buffet.  Idyll Time is moving on tomorrow.  We are staying here and going into Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment